Friday, December 4, 2009

'Tis the Season: Paris decks itself for Noël

I am enjoying the opening of the Christmas season, even if it’s hardly living up to that to which I’ve grown quite accustomed in the US. The theme, as always, is something along the lines of, "We French are too cool for that," and thus Paris doesn’t quite deck itself out like New York (or Vienna, as I can confirm, or Germany, as rumor has it) for the holidays. Nonetheless, I set out on a mission to enjoy Paris at Christmas time with my Friday afternoon off after surviving course #3 and I wasn't disappointed. Particularly noteworthy, though paling in comparison to its counterparts in Vienna, were the Christmas markets along the Champs Elysées where you can buy, among other things, mulled wine (vin chaud, which the French try translating for their foreign tourists directly as "hot wine") without even getting carded and then proceed to walk along the streets of Paris in broad daylight drinking alcohol out of a disposable coffee cup. I figured it was cultural and that was all the excuse I needed to go ahead and buy some for myself.











Okay, so I couldn't resist sharing the image of a mannequin riding the Christmas zebra, which I found along the Champs Elysées.























No comments:

Post a Comment