I really like the English language for its egalitarian nature-- the lack of the formal you is just great. I always find myself
tripping over precisely when an older acquaintance should be a tu (informal) or vous (formal). There seems to be something distinctly kinder and more approachable about a language that never so formally and forwardly forces one to distinguish between one’s equals and superiors (or inferiors). I also love English for its melting-pot nature, something it’s had long before it became the language of the US (though how appropriate). English can swallow and incorporate so many words and expressions from various languages. It is less rigid in its grammar: there are many comprehendible ways to structure a sentence to transmit the same idea. It seems to me a fun, casual, friendly language, and it makes me (understandably) feel at home. That being said, I really do wish I found myself using it a bit less here. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my friends here prefer communicating in English. With any luck, that may change when classes start next week.
tripping over precisely when an older acquaintance should be a tu (informal) or vous (formal). There seems to be something distinctly kinder and more approachable about a language that never so formally and forwardly forces one to distinguish between one’s equals and superiors (or inferiors). I also love English for its melting-pot nature, something it’s had long before it became the language of the US (though how appropriate). English can swallow and incorporate so many words and expressions from various languages. It is less rigid in its grammar: there are many comprehendible ways to structure a sentence to transmit the same idea. It seems to me a fun, casual, friendly language, and it makes me (understandably) feel at home. That being said, I really do wish I found myself using it a bit less here. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my friends here prefer communicating in English. With any luck, that may change when classes start next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment