Sunday, October 18, 2009

Le 15e Salon du Chocolat

This weekend, Paris hosted its 15th annual Chocolate Salon, conveniently a very short trip from my dorm. As such, Koyel and I decided to be troopers and brave the final few hours of the event when, purportedly, the most free chocolate would be available. Sadly, the readily available hoards of free chocolate we envisioned past the admission gate were a bit of a lie, but we still left a couple hours later feeling fairly light-headed and dizzy, despite having only had a little more than a shot's worth of chocolate-flavored liquor (some of which was consumed out of an edible chocolate shot glass!), so I suppose it's sufficient to say we had our fair share of chocolate.

One of my favorite items for sale were the wooden spoons with blocks of flavored chocolate molded onto their ends. These could be put in warm milk for a variety of flavors of hot chocolate. I went for the noir pimente d'espelette, a dark chocolate spicy blend (my favorite kind of chocolate). It could have been spicier, but I overall approved. Koyel's chocolat chaud au beurre salé, a chocolate-caramel hot chocolate, was decidely the winner. Also, all the chocolate sculptures and art were really remarkable! It was an afternoon well spent followed by a good hour's walk (with a refuel stop for tea in my room) and a vegetarian dinner to boot. Overall, a delicious day, but one that is fortunately only celebrated annually.

No comments:

Post a Comment