Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Sunday Afternoon at Père Lachaise

At long last I made my way to Père Lachaise, a key place for celebrity spotting if you don't mind their being interred. My landmark of the day was Chopin's grave which I managed to find just before the bells began ringing to signal that everyone had best clear out or prepare for a night with some neighbors who hopefully won't prove very rowdy, excepting the few cats. Père Lachaise didn't boast a feline population to rival Recoleta, Buenos Aires's famous cemetery, nor did it boast an equally competent security staff: to my surprise, much of the place was in serious disrepair. Many graves were completely torn apart. Overall, it was a nice enough way to spend the afternoon, especially when followed by a stop at a café where I was served a cappuccino topped with more whipped cream than anything I've ever had in Paris, but I don't feel a strong inclination to cover the areas I didn't reach before closing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment