Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Great American, New Hope, and Tyler Park

After not having assembled together since before I flew out to Italy, it was high time to have another EAC reunion (Environmental Action Club, a group of kids from high school with whom I unexpectedly formed a most excellent group of friends during junior and senior years). It just so happened that everyone was in town exclusively on the night of the 25th, so last night we all got together at the Great American Diner for a reunion. It was great to see everyone after so much time.

The next morning, for the first time since I returned to the US, I had the luxury to sleep in and that I did. I woke up after the crack of noon to realize I’d slept about half of the day away. As soon as I could get ready, Esteban and I drove over to Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille for lunch. Even he was impressed by the cuisine, and doubly so as this restaurant is found in suburbia.

After eating, we took a detour to Tanner's dairy farm, a local dairy and produce store which always makes me feel like I live in the middle of nowhere. We then drove over to New Hope where we made our best to explore the town, perusing through Farley’s bookshop, Love Saves the Day, and various stores, trying with little success to ignore the intense August humidity. I showed off some classic examples of Bucks County architecture like the little stone house pictured here. We crossed the Delaware River into Lambertville, New Jersey, and later walked a bit of the Delaware Canal towpath (after checking out a store with some great fossils), but the weather really took its toll. We got back in the car and drove back to Churchville to pick up a tent and do a lap around my house before dark. I showed off my little tree that I'd gotten as a sapling back in kindergarten while still living in Baldwin. It's remarkable how it's grown!

Esteban and I went over to Newtown where we sampled some fine local cuisine: Rita’s water ice and then did a leisurely lap through the Nature Trail in Tyler State Park at dusk. We saw deer and some really cute caterpillars as we strolled along my favorite tree-lined path down which I’d run so many times with my track team over the years. It was fairly surreal to be walking such a familiar path with a person who certainly did not belong alongside the memories that path holds for me.

Once the sun had set, we returned home and for once had a calmer evening. I unpacked my stuff from South America and we had a late dinner with my family. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, we’ll be off to New York on our way back to MIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment