I am still deep in the belly of the French administrative monster and hoping very much to not get
kicked out of the country when my permit of stay expires in two months. Between my
house falling apart, my landlord threatening to kick me out, my Master's thesis rough draft, and the French air traffic control strike that canceled my flight to Italy with just over 24 hours' notice requiring a day's worth of phone calls and emails to reschedule my summer vacation, I find I do not have so much time to write, but these pictures mostly speak for themselves. In summary:
1. I celebrated my first Bastille Day in France with fireworks at the Eiffel Tower. Many other people had the same idea, so there was a fair bit of crowd battling, but we managed to see a respectable show.
2. We hosted our second monthly MIT10 Paris (MIT alums of the past ten years) pub night last Thursday. Afterward, Ryan (my cousin), Sunita '09, Ethan '10, Juan '03, and I all went out for dinner just off the Rue Mouffetard. We'd hardly sat down when Sunita mentioned to me that, of all things, Juan (who I've known since December) is a fellow Fifth West alum. This increased my total Fifth West alumni in Paris count by 50%! His senior year frosh were my freshman year seniors, so we spent a good half of the meal conversing over hall evolution, the class of '06, the whereabouts of a certain octagon.
3. Ryan flew out on Sunday after a bit of a
Bastille Day surprise when he tried checking in for a flight at what he thought to be 24 hours in advance but was actually about an hour before take-off. As he bought himself an extra weekend in Paris, we finally got to take our trip together to Versailles, bringing along my roommate Damien (pictured between Ryan and me) and Valentin (who'd actually never seen the castle himself!)
house falling apart, my landlord threatening to kick me out, my Master's thesis rough draft, and the French air traffic control strike that canceled my flight to Italy with just over 24 hours' notice requiring a day's worth of phone calls and emails to reschedule my summer vacation, I find I do not have so much time to write, but these pictures mostly speak for themselves. In summary:1. I celebrated my first Bastille Day in France with fireworks at the Eiffel Tower. Many other people had the same idea, so there was a fair bit of crowd battling, but we managed to see a respectable show.
2. We hosted our second monthly MIT10 Paris (MIT alums of the past ten years) pub night last Thursday. Afterward, Ryan (my cousin), Sunita '09, Ethan '10, Juan '03, and I all went out for dinner just off the Rue Mouffetard. We'd hardly sat down when Sunita mentioned to me that, of all things, Juan (who I've known since December) is a fellow Fifth West alum. This increased my total Fifth West alumni in Paris count by 50%! His senior year frosh were my freshman year seniors, so we spent a good half of the meal conversing over hall evolution, the class of '06, the whereabouts of a certain octagon.
3. Ryan flew out on Sunday after a bit of a
Bastille Day surprise when he tried checking in for a flight at what he thought to be 24 hours in advance but was actually about an hour before take-off. As he bought himself an extra weekend in Paris, we finally got to take our trip together to Versailles, bringing along my roommate Damien (pictured between Ryan and me) and Valentin (who'd actually never seen the castle himself!)
emilienne! je suis desolee d'entendre de toutes ces tracasseries! moi aussi j'en ai beaucoup, mais je quitte paris dans moins de 2 semaines - je sais pas si tu es la, mais si tu veux faire qqch, envoie-moi un email! je vais regarder juno au cinema en plein air si tu as envie. en passant, tayina etait la ce weekend dernier et nous avons pris des photos devant la boutique axo pres du metro st.paul!
ReplyDelete