As I moved around a lot while growing up,
I don’t have many friends I’ve known since I was very young, so it’s
really weird that I am now able to say that I have friends I’ve known for a whole decade. Sylvia, one of my best friends from Long Island and someone I’ve known since we were twelve, just moved down to Philadelphia to start an eight-year joint Veterinary and PhD program at UPenn. As such, we’d been talking since we caught up in Boston in the spring (after not seeing each other for nearly four years) about seeing each other in Pennsylvania before I left the US. Finally, the opportunity arose.
We spent the day hiking around Hawk Mountain Sanctuary,
a raptor conservation center in eastern Pennsylvania bordering the
Appalachian trail. Founded in 1934, it is the world’s oldest and largest member-supported raptor conservation organization. We spent the day hiking and climbing all over boulders along trails. Though we only saw one turkey vulture, I also saw some really awesome bugs and Sylvia glimpsed a snake as we climbed around the River of Rocks, a giant boulder field I enthusiastically explored as I have odd dream-like memories of it from my childhood, though I’d never known where exactly I might find this field, assuming I hadn’t actually just dreamt it all up. It was exciting to realize it hadn’t just been an odd dream, and crawling all over rocks is exceedingly fun. Furthermore, I realized that water must run beneath them because, though I couldn’t see anything but lots of rocks, there was the flowing sounds of water rising up from the field. It was a lot of fun to see Sylvia again and the day drew to a close quicker than I’d have liked. Nonetheless, it was a Labor Day well spent.
We spent the day hiking around Hawk Mountain Sanctuary,
No comments:
Post a Comment